About the job
Ofgem works on behalf of energy consumers to ensure that every household and business in the UK can rely on a safe, affordable and environmentally sustainable energy supply. We are playing a vital part in accelerating the transition to Net Zero and a carbon neutral energy system. Whatever your role, you’ll be playing your part in creating new energy solutions that are great for customers, and great for the environment.
Speechwriting is a challenging and high-profile function. You must have very strong written and spoken communications skills and be comfortable dealing with senior people. This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic, well organised, and creative communicator to work as a Speechwriter for the CEO of Ofgem. You will plan, develop, and deliver high-quality written drafts and copy tailored to audiences, be able to translate complex policy into punchy prose that is easily understood, as well as finding the newsworthy headlines from policy or operational programmes. You must be able to take feedback and amendments on your work from multiple stakeholders and pick out salient facts from a mass of information to suit the target audience.
Being able to negotiate diplomatically to meet your objectives is essential.
• Confidentially provide the CEO with clear advice on speeches and produce clear compelling, well-argued products and evaluate their impact on audiences.
• Adapt your writing to capture the voice of the CEO, working with private office and Deputy Director for Media and External Affairs to adapt messages to the best style for different audiences.
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the CEO, senior officials and EXCO as well as the comms team to ensure a streamlined speechwriting process by agreeing a clear strategy for delivery and ensuring that this is recognised across Ofgem.
• Work effectively with the wider comms team, to integrate with media activity around speeches.
• Work closely with colleagues across Ofgem to develop proposals that can be announced in line with the CEO expectations.
• Take increasing responsibility for Ofgem’s evolving narrative and promoting this narrative across Ofgem.
• Understand Ofgem’s brief so you can communicate key messages clearly accurately and creatively to relevant audiences.
Ofgem is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of open and fair competition, merit and business need.
Building close relationships with the CEO, private offices and colleagues across Ofgem, you will craftoriginal, creative, high-quality personalised content primarily for our CEO. You will be responsible for writing set-piece speeches, op-eds and blogs for the CEO, and supporting the Chair.
In a challenging and fast paced environment, you will be expected to meet multiple deadlines and have the ability to turn complex policy issues into clear and engaging speeches.
Responsibilities• To develop and own a speaking engagement strategy and a coherent narrative that supports the organisation’s corporate objectives and the wider communications strategy.
• To understand audiences and plan, develop and write high-quality speeches that have a compelling narrative and make an impact.
• To work closely with the CEO to help him develop his own voice to give authentic speeches.
• To collaborate with policy teams to understand the context for each project, using their knowledge to inform the way narratives are shaped.
• To produce written products that tell a story about Ofgem’s role in protecting consumers as we tranistion to a net zero economy to bring the issues to life for our key stakeholders and consumers.
• To work with Ofgem’s media team to understand the language being used by the media around individual policy areas, ensuring that all speeches advance Ofgem’s arguments.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please refer to the Candidate Pack attached for full details.
Ofgem can offer you a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes; up to 30 days annual leave. Excellent training and development opportunities. The opportunity to join the Civil Service pension arrangements which include a valuable range of benefits. Flexible working hours and family friendly policies. Restaurant and subsidise gym (London only). Interest free season ticket loan.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles
, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
When you press the ‘Apply now’ button, you will be asked to complete personal details (not seen by the sift panel), your career history and qualifications.
You will then be asked to provide a 1250 word ‘supporting statement’ evidencing how you meet the essential and desirable skills and capabilities listed in the role profile. Please ensure you demonstrate clearly, within your supporting statement, how you meet each of the essential and desirable skills and capabilities. In addition, as part of the application you are required to submit two examples of recent work. One should be a keynote speech, the second should be a shorter piece, preferably an op-ed drafted for a national paper.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available.
You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name : || ||Cheryl Stobo|
|Email : || ||email@example.com|
|Recruitment team :|
|Email : || ||firstname.lastname@example.org|