Abbey Wood South. Bristol, BS34 8JH
About the job
Defence Support is passionate about ensuring that we are a top performing organisation and a great place to work. We host a diverse range of talent where everyone feels valued and supported enabling our people to flourish, bringing greater creativity and innovation to achieve higher organisational performance.
Defence Support was created in April 2020 working with 60,000 personnel across the Ministry of Defence Support network, to ensure our Armed Forces are equipped to operate effectively and gain operational advantage. Each year a third of the Defence budget is spent on Support – from moving troops, loading aircraft and refitting submarines to maintaining the engines of our armoured vehicles and refuelling them anywhere in the world. Defence Support provides centralised oversight of this capability, ensuring the network operates effectively and delivers value for money.
Defence Support Chain Operations and Movements (DSCOM) is a joint organisation comprising a mix of military, civilian and contractor staff based at Abbey Wood and other out-stations, it supports the MOD, PJHQ and the Front Line Commands (FLCs) in the worldwide deployment, and recovery of materiel and personnel for Defence Activity.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week.
The TechCell Power Platform Senior Developer will work directly with internal and external stakeholders to understand their business problems and to assist in translating these into clear and concise user stories and use cases in JIRA. Defining and participating in Proof of Concepts for new capability development. Assessment, design, and build of innovative solutions utilising the Power Platform and wider set of Azure services. Maintain, iterate and improve existing developed capabilities.
ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Design and implementation of Power Platform solutions, from rapid prototyping through to production ready. Deliver across the entire product life cycle - concept, design, build (code), deploy, test, release, operate in production, and maintain unit, functional, and performance test automation.
• Project management of PowerApps developments, identifying the appropriate PowerApps development solutions and managing and implementing end tech capability.
• Support the use of data-driven insight within DSCOM by turning ideas into technology solutions and building the appropriate applications that solve business challenges.
• Liaise with enterprise architects and participate in technical design authority events to help define enterprise architectures, ensuring coherence with Defence direction.
• Provide support to DSCOM on the use of all PowerApps and accompanying Power Platform development.
• Provide support to the DSCOM Product Owner and DSCOM Tech Cell Team Lead in creation and development of the PowerApps roadmap.
• Undertake line management activities for both civil servant and military personnel as required.
The role requires:
• Proven experience in working on relevant Microsoft projects.
• Power Apps Development Experience - both Canvas & Model Driven.
• Experience with Power Automate, Dataverse and Power BI.
• Azure DevOps.
• Rest API.
• Strong communicator and stakeholder management experience
• SQL skills, ideally with hands on experience in the Microsoft stack.
• Experience working with stakeholders to gather requirements and deliver findings.
• Able to utilise tools and techniques for data analysis and data visualisation such as SQL, PowerBI.
Desirable skills and experience include:
• Experience of analysis of data or production of management information.
• SCRUM master certified.
• Project management certified.
• Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Seeing the Big Picture
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
• A generous annual leave entitlement
• MOD offer a variety of benefits, for more information please visit - https://discovermybenefits.mod.gov.uk/civilian/
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
External recruits who join the MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a six month probation period.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
MOD Recruitment Satisfaction Survey – we may contact you regarding your experience to help us improve our customer satisfaction. The survey is voluntary and anonymous. You may however be given the opportunity to provide additional information to help us improve our service which includes the collection of some personal data as defined by the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The MOD Privacy Notice sets out how we will use your personal data and your rights
Any move to MOD from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles
, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
As a result of the changes to the UK immigration rules which came in to effect on 1 January 2021, the Ministry of Defence will only offer sponsorship for a skilled worker visa under the points based system, where a role has been deemed to be business critical.
The role currently being advertised has not been assessed as business critical and is therefore NOT open to applications from those who will require sponsorship under the points based system. Should you apply for this role and be found to require sponsorship, your application will be rejected and any provisional offer of employment withdrawn.
Candidates will be required to complete an online CV template to include job history, full details of education and qualifications and previous experiences and skills.
Sift will be conducted after the advert close date, interviews will be conducted via Skype, if successful at the sift stage, you will be notified of the interview details and asked to book into an available interview slot.
Where there are a high number of candidates, the selection panel may only sift on the following Behaviours:
Managing a Quality Service
Changing and Improving
Making Effective Decisions
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available.
You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name : || ||Jamie Garrett|
|Email : || ||Jamie.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Recruitment team :|
|Email : || ||DBSCivPers-ResourcingTeam3@mod.gov.uk|
Please refer to Candidate Information pack attached.