The salary scale for this grade is £24,496 to £27,462. If successful, your salary will be negotiated with you following which further increases will depend upon the outcome of our annual pay negotiation.
CH - Digital Services
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
Cardiff, Wales, CF14 3UZ
About the job
This is an exciting opportunity in the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) directorate in Companies House, helping to design and deliver quality services to our users. We use agile methodologies and promote a culture of continuous improvement. You’ll have the opportunity to be at the forefront of digital transformation in government and help shape our services to meet the ever-changing demands of the UK’s business landscape.
You’ll be welcomed into an experienced team who write for user interfaces, creating great content that’s shaped by user research. You’ll work closely with other content designers, interaction designers, user researchers, product managers, analysts and Companies House stakeholders, who are committed to providing excellent digital services and putting our users first. We’re also incredibly supportive of each other - even though our team is currently working remotely, we ensure we make time for one-to-one conversations as well as wider team meetings so that everyone receives all the support they require.
Can you write content using clear and concise language that makes complex processes easy to understand?
Could you design content that meets the government’s digital Service Standard and is accessible to all?
If you think this sounds like a team and a culture in which you could thrive, we’d love to receive your application!
In this role, you will:
• develop content written in plain English that is based on user needs and organisational objectives
• collaborate with user researchers to create user-centred content
• iterate content according to evidence-based research
• collaborate with interaction designers to present information to users in the most effective way possible
• use the GDS Style Guide and GDS Design System • be able to handle constructive criticism of your work and constructively review other people’s work
• make effective decisions and recognise when to ask for further guidance and support
• build relationships across Companies House to focus on the needs of our users and to influence stakeholders
• work with the wider project team to ensure that services meet the GDS Service Standard
• apply agile methodologies to all aspects of your work
• work on HTML prototypes (training will be provided if needed)
We’re looking for an enthusiastic team player who:
• has excellent written communication skills and understanding of plain English
• has excellent verbal communication skills, with experience of presenting ideas to stakeholders
• can communicate effectively with stakeholders and subject matter experts to gather information and apply it when creating content
• can work to tight deadlines and manage your workload across several projects simultaneously
• is aware of the importance of ensuring services are accessible to all
• can use research and data to write effective content that meets user needs
• can understand and implement house styles and standards
About us Companies House plays a pivotal role in providing the environment that makes the UK a great place to do business. We have achieved high digital take-up of our services for providing and searching company information, and those services achieve high customer satisfaction. We have led the way in providing an open and transparent company register. The information on the register is searched billions of times a year to support the making of millions of business decisions and is also used every day by UK and overseas law enforcement, by civil society, and by citizens.
As we introduce new services, and re-engineer existing ones, our expectation is that improved and enhanced services will attract more customers, increasing our digital take-up rate.
Within the DDaT directorate, the Product Delivery team plays a key role in the design, delivery and management of these services. As a member of the team, the content designer will work with various stakeholders across the organisation to develop user-centred content.
To find out more about the great things we're doing at Companies House please have a look at our blog posts and podcasts. and while we’re all currently working from home, the following video will give you a flavour of what it’s like to work in the Digital, Data and Technology directorate at Companies House :
Companies House values its people, their contributions and has created a real sense of community where people seek to create strong connections. Our commitment to learning and development is exceptional, and we believe passionately in the employee experience with is prevalent through the engagement, wellbeing and development strategies which have resulted in Platinum Investors in People and MIND index awards.
We encourage professional development, celebrate success and live our values to effect real change.
All Product Delivery team members are currently working from home, and this is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. However, this role is based at our main Cardiff office. Although we’re still working on what our “new” normal will be, it’s likely that in future you will be expected to occasionally attend the Cardiff office when required. This will enable ongoing support and development and allow you to collaborate with your colleagues.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Everyone in Companies House brings something different, and so will you.
We are proud to be a disability confident leader. Our recruitment process is fully inclusive of all physical and mental disabilities and as such we can make adjustments as needed through our process. These could include having an interview buddy, extra time at interviews/assessments and receiving interview questions prior to interview, to name a few. We will be happy to discuss any niche and person-centred adjustments, please contact the Infopoint team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Apart from a competitive salary and highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension, we also offer a benefits package including:
- A generous 30 days annual leave (based on full time hours) in addition to public holidays
- A range of recognition schemes including Instant Awards to thank and recognise each other's efforts and contributions
- Strong ethos of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- A pro-active approach to employee wellbeing that allows our employees to flourish and be their best at work
- An Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) offering access to 24/7 confidential advice and support
- Online financial support and advice
- Seasonal flu jabs
- Generous Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Shared Parental leave provisions
- A focus on career development and progression, supporting all grades with time and funding – Career Pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available
- A very active Sports and Social Society
- A number of inclusive Network Groups for employees at all levels across the organisation
- Staff Discount scheme
- Holiday play scheme for children
- Up to 3 days paid leave for volunteering opportunities
- Flexible working with no core hours, work the hours that suit you between 6am and 8pm
- Half a day each week dedicated to Innovation Time where you can work on your next great idea or develop your skills. It’s up to you!
- Lots of opportunities to have training as and when it's needed
- A full subscription to Pluralsight offering assessments, learning paths and courses authored by industry experts
- If you need it, we’ll supply a chair, desk and additional monitor to enable to you to work from home in comfort
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
Interviews to be held virtually, using Microsoft Teams. Interview dates to be confirmed.
Candidates will be required to supply a CV and Personal Statement. The Personal Statement should be no more than 1250 words and address any experience and behaviours outlined in the person specification. These will also be explored at interview.
You can find more guidance on completing your application here.
Candidates may be required to undertake an activity as part of the selection process.
Companies House uses a blended interview technique, allowing us to find out more about you. We use the Success Profile framework and may include Strength based questions in the interview.
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the principle of recruitment based on fair and open competition with decisions made on the basis of merit, as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles.
As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, we ask candidates to provide an anonymous application. Please remove all identifying personal information from your CV, personal statement and application including: name; address; date of birth; dates of education.
We are proud to be a disability confident leader. Our recruitment process is fully inclusive of all physical and mental disabilities and as such we can make adjustments as needed through our process. These could include having an interview buddy, extra time at interviews or assessments and receiving interview questions prior to interview to name a few. If you are unsure what may be appropriate for your specific needs, please reach out and we will be happy to have a conversation about how we can best support you. Please contact the recruitment team if needed and a member of the team will be in touch – email@example.com.
Any move to Companies House from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
Successful candidates must pass a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check before they can be appointed. BPSS is an entry level security check. It uses the Police National Computer (PNC) to make sure a candidate has no convictions. The check returns evidence of any current criminal record and un-spent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available.
You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Recruitment team :
We welcome applications from Welsh speakers. Selection for appointment to the Civil Service is on merit, on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s Recruitment Principles. In accordance with the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles, our recruitment and selection processes are underpinned by the requirement of appointment on the basis of merit by fair and open competition. If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive you can contact the Civil Service Commission . email@example.com