About the job
This a broad and exciting role for an experienced communications professional and offers the opportunity to work at the heart of the Government’s agenda and as we begin to operate the UK’s independent trade policy.
The Director of Communications is a senior leadership role within DIT and the wider Government Communication Service (GCS). This role offers the successful candidate the opportunity to join the Government Communication Service and take the first step in developing a possible future career in a wide range of senior Communication roles across the Civil Service.
You will work closely with the Department for International Trade’s Permanent Secretary as part of the wider COO team and will play a key role in leading your team through the changes to
the Government Communication Service’s operating model. Alongside your departmental leadership role, you will also have a crucial role in providing visible, inclusive and engaging leadership across the wider profession.
• Be the principal communication advisor to the Secretary of State, Ministers, Permanent Secretaries and Directors General for all communication and marketing activity;
• Set and sell the overall vision and ambition for the directorate;
• Develop and lead high performing, expert, engaged and inclusive teams across the breadth of the portfolio;
• Demonstrate inspirational leadership to direct and deliver world-class domestic and international communication and marketing campaigns;
• Develop robust “Return on Investment” criteria and deliver all communication and marketing campaigns against them;
• As part of the Government Communication Service (GCS), contribute fully to developing a world-class profession, supporting colleagues across the GCS - and HMG’s international networks - to improve their skills and capabilities;
• Forge constructive working partnerships with all parts of the department and profession, the international network, and across Government;
• Build effective and collaborative relationships with a wide range of external stakeholders, showing strong personal impact;
• Drive continual improvement across all parts of the directorate, taking full advantage of Government Communication Service’s professional development programmes and tools; and
• Be accountable for all the Directorate’s spending and deliver the directorate’s activities within budget.
• Experience of leading multi-functional communications and marketing teams;
• A high degree of political acumen and judgment;
• Outstanding stakeholder management and influencing skills with the ability to collaborate and engage with a wide range of senior stakeholders across both the public and private sectors; including at the highest levels (C-Suite in the private sector, Cabinet Minister within government);
• An excellent leader of people who improves capability, leads through change, builds a diverse and inclusive team and exhibits an engaging and adaptable style that connects with people at all levels;
• Ability to successfully navigate complex environments and deliver through effective and collaborative partnerships across organisational boundaries.
• Experience of working in an international organisation.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This position is open to pre-existing job share partnerships. Please refer to the candidate information pack for further details on the selection process.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available.
You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
|Job contact :|
|Name : || ||SCS Recruitment Team|
|Email : || ||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Recruitment team :|
|Email : || ||email@example.com|