Senior Solution Architect
Department for Work and Pensions
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 10th July 2022
Type of role
Number of posts
We maintain and modernise services that will be used by nearly every person in the UK, at key moments in their lives.
The scale of what we do is extraordinary and our purpose is unique. You will join our community of Solution Architects across DWP Digital.
The Fraud, Error & Debt (FED) function in DWP Digital supports the surveillance, investigation and debt recovery operational teams in the Counter Fraud, Compliance and Debt directorate.
FED are looking for a motivated Solutions Architect, to join their small team of architects designing modern digital systems as part a £10Ms Digital Transformation programme.
This Senior Solution Architect role will help design FED solutions that range from surveillance equipment (e.g. covert cameras and vehicles) through to a state of the art, self-service debt recovery system.
• Design technical solutions (products and services) to meet user needs and align with DWP technical strategy and standards.
• Provide a consistent set of solution views, that communicate and describe the construction of the solution to all stakeholders.
• Champion solution communication, making the complex simple to understand.
• Support delivery teams, blending technical (development and architecture) and behaviour (leadership and communication) skills.
• Deliver the technical and architecture design elements of FED services.
• Work with FED engineering teams, and other Digital stakeholders, to create VFM solution designs.
• Ensure technical quality and adherence of FED solution designs to the DWP Digital Blueprint, Enterprise Architecture and Product Roadmaps.
• Identify, capture, share, iterate, and implement architecture patterns.
• Drive resolution of technical debt, to reduce the ongoing cost of DWP IT services.
• Develop product roadmaps and represent product designs at DWP governance forums, providing clear communication of architecture design and decision making, in order to gain approval to proceed with designs.
• Support the development of the DWP Architecture Practice.
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact email@example.com
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Turning business problems into technical designs
- Technical Breadth
• Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern).
• Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
• Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
• An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
Salary for this role is from £49,171 (Band min) to £59,589 (Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £59,589 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £5,411 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Selection process details
Applications must include:
1. A completed Personal Details application form.
2. A curriculum vitae including education, professional qualifications and full employment history, giving details of key achievements.
When giving details in your CV you should highlight your experience in line with essential criteria below:
• Architecture design (including Event-based) and modelling techniques, patterns, tools and standards.
• Delivering large scale solutions building on top of industry standard COTS packages.
• Public cloud technologies, design patterns, and best practice (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform).
• Agile / DevOps delivery methodologies and best practice
• Presenting to technical governance forums.
When giving details of your CV, you should therefore include details of the work and projects that you have been involved in, and your role therein.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
Applications will be sifted at regular intervals from the date the posts are advertised. Please apply as soon as you can, do not wait until the end of the campaign.
• Please attach your CV as a separate additional document in either PDF or word format.
• Personal details that could be used to identify you including your name, contact details and address must be removed for your application to be considered.
• Please do not include any personal details in your document title.
• If your CV contains any personal details your application will be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Interview
If you’re successful at sift stage you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the following Behaviours and Technical Skills:
• Communicating and Influencing
• Working Together
• Turning business problems into technical designs
• Technical Breadth
Candidates will be asked to do a short (5 -10 minutes) presentation on an architecture design they have either led or personally been involved in, explaining the key architecture decisions they made. Further details will be provided to candidates invited to interview.
Interviews will take place from mid July. Sift and interview dates to be confirmed.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
Reserve list candidates will be posted in merit order by location.
Any move to DWP from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at here
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf. However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5 year period following a dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against government.
Before applying for this vacancy, current employees of DWP should check whether a successful application would result in changes to their terms & conditions of employment, e.g. mobility, pay, allowances. Civil Servants that would transfer into DWP from other government organisations, following successful application, will assume DWP's terms & conditions of employment current on the day they are posted, unless DWP has stated otherwise in writing.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Louis Groom
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment team :
- Email : email@example.com