Digital Transformation Lead – Property Function
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 2nd April 2023
Type of role
Architecture and Data
Number of jobs available
About the job
The public estate is large with diverse assets ranging from offices to hospitals, prisons, courts, warehouses, railways, roads, airways, canals, homes, barracks, ports, job centres, test centres, retail, schools and a large land asset. It has authority over certain public property that it can exercise. The balance sheet value stood at around £515 billion in 2019 and there are over three hundred thousand recorded assets spread over thousands of different entities and systems.
The Office of Government Property (OGP) has its remit over all of the government estate being the home of the Government Property Function. It makes sure the whole of the estate delivers objectives: collaboratively, efficiently, compliantly and in a sustainable manner. This role will lead delivery and management of InSite, the incoming Government Property strategic data system. This is a high profile project. The role will have accountability for the quality of the system. They will ensure it is implemented, managed, and its business case benefits (eg: automation and APIs) are realised through use of innovation, meeting changing customer expectations and driving efficient service delivery. The person will lead the intelligent client function for OGP providing challenge, support and a service to a range of departments and their associated public bodies, bringing their property information systems to be user focused and of a consistently high standard. The role has a significant and far reaching effect on the future government property function systems, innovation and data, and will embed a continuous improvement culture.
This is an exciting time to join in this senior position. The organisation continues to expand its remit to the whole of the government estate, from previously focussing on a part of it. It is in the process of replacing a system called ePIMS with a new cloud based database system called InSite.
Change Management - You will lead the change management from legacy ePIMS system to InSite, communicating the benefits and performance. You will be responsible for the successful adoption, operation and continuous improvement of InSite, effectively acting as the implementation lead and service owner for the new system. You will ensure that data stored can be mined using advanced analytical and automation techniques . The stakeholder map needs to be cognisant of over 160 core public bodies and over three hundred local and wider public sector bodies and devolved administrations. You will be responsible for liaising with the delivery team, with the external technology suppliers and engaging with the stakeholders to actively respond to technical and other challenges.
Centre of Excellence - You will lead a Centre of Excellence Government Service and drive a government property function wide programme of automation of data flows to and from InSite. You will operate at scale and provide the connection between business areas and stakeholders to understand the feasibility, technical complexity and timescales and lead implementation of this automation. You will lead on delivering an excellent quality service to do this, which is capable of recharge to departments.
Innovation: You will identify opportunities for improvement and initiate pilot programmes and proof-of-concepts that enable effective leadership, including leading development of training material and initiatives to upskill and improve the technical capabilities. You will stay current in the market and maintain and enhance knowledge in Proptech to ensure that the services offered to the government departments follow leading practice.
Leadership: Manage their team and contribute to the leadership of the Data and Analysis team and OGP. You will play a leading role in the governance of InSite, including acting as a point of escalation for the delivery teams. You will manage internal and external resources. You will be leading a complex technical area with specialist resources likely to be sourced from the market. Leading such a team will require a high level of management skills to ensure that the quality of outputs are maintained. You will develop extensive capability in technology and property systems by providing assurance and advice on InSite programme and to departments to highlight areas of improvements and monitor progress. You will advise the budget owner to allocate funding to areas of InSite based on your decisions about priorities. You will manage the programme manager to ensure the necessary business processes are followed.
- Digital: Essential is proven experience of having managed/ led development and delivery of an end to end data led public cloud based data service, with at least 1000 users and multiple security layers in a multi-organisation/ stakeholder environment.
- Technology, Data and Analysis: Familiarity of property/ real estate management systems and business analytics softwares.
- Ability to confidently provide direction on design, tools and methods to use for developing a cloud based strategic property database.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Advanced understanding of software development, business process analysis and data flow automation between multiple systems (e.g.development of APIs). Ability to develop the technical capability of other team members.
- Agile working. Experience of coaching and leading teams in Agile and Lean practices, determining the right approach for the team to take and evaluating this through the life of a project.
- Change and problem management. Leadership experience of implementation change and adoption management in a technology context
- Experience of anticipating problems and defending against them at the right time. Ability to articulate the problem and help others to resolve it.
- Financial ownership. Experience of development of an agile business case with understanding of the granularity of financial costs per sprint and the value delivered.
- Life cycle perspective. Experience in multiple parts of the product life cycle, recognising the appropriate deliverables and the right people to deliver them. Experience of planning and engaging with the appropriate stakeholders at a particular stage in the project.
- Operational management. Abreast of industry best practice and ability to cascade ways of working and make operations efficient.
- Product ownership. Knowledge of the tools, terms and concepts used to deliver a digital product, and how they can be adapted and applied to different phases of delivery.
- Strategic ownership. Have a discerning and disciplined approach to focusing on what is important and most relevant.
- User focus. Experience in meeting the needs of users across a variety of channels with insight and expertise in how user needs have changed over time to ensure they’re best met by the business.
Strategy and leadership:
- Knowledge of development of business strategy and business operations
- Articulate and support the case for transformation programmes and for benefits realisation
- Strong experience of presenting to and managing interactions with senior stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal, negotiating, influencing, and facilitation skills
- Experience of contract management in a technology business context, including engagement with, and management and oversight of external suppliers
- Experience and knowledge of government procurement frameworks
- Experience in the real estate sector.
- Experience and knowledge of GDS service assessment (https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/service-standard)
• An environment with flexible working options.
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
• A Civil Service Pension which provides an attractive pension, benefits for dependants and average employer contributions of 27%.
• A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
After submission of the first stage of your application you will be invited to complete a Civil Service Verbal Reasoning Test. If you successfully pass the test, you will be invited to complete the final stage of the application. Please complete the online tests as soon as possible (within 24-48 hours is recommended), the closing date for the tests and full application is 23:55 on 02/04/2023 . If you fail to complete the online test and application before the deadline your application will be withdrawn. Guidance for the test will be available when you are invited to take the test. The tests are administered online and accessed via the CS Jobs website.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form. The sift will be based on the information supplied.
Expected Timeline (subject to change)
Expected sift date – w/c 03/04/23
Expected interview date/s – w/c 17/04 or 24/04/23
Interview location - Virtual via video link
Assessment will be based on the experience, ability and strengths demonstrated at the interview.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 12 months from which further appointments can be made.
Any move to Cabinet Office from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the ‘Assistance required’ section in the ‘Additional requirements’ page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service /Disclosure Scotland on your behalf.
However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
For further information on the Disclosure Scotland confidential checking service telephone: The Disclosure Scotland Helpline on 0870 609 6006 and ask to speak to the operations manager in confidence, or email Info@disclosurescotland.co.uk
New entrants are expected to join on the minimum of the pay band.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5-year period following a dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against government.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Please note that this role requires CTC clearance, which would normally need 3 years’ UK residency in the past 3 years. This is not an absolute requirement, but supplementary checks may be needed where individuals have not lived in the UK for that period. This may mean your security clearance (and therefore your appointment) will take longer or, in some cases, not be possible.
Please note terms and conditions are attached. Please take time to read the document to determine how these may affect you.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Yogesh Babbar
- Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel that your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles, and wish to make a complaint, then in the first instance you should contact Government Recruitment Service at: email@example.com.
If you are not satisfied with the response that you receive, then you can contact the Civil Service Commission at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the Recruitment Principles, and bringing a complaint to the Civil Service Commission, please visit their website at: https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk.