Chief Technology Officer- CDDO
Government Digital Service
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 5th September 2022
Type of role
Number of posts
A part of the Cabinet Office, the Central Digital and Data Office leads the digital, data and technology (DDaT) function for government. We put the right conditions in place to achieve digital, data and technology transformation at scale by working with departments, and other government functions like commercial, project delivery and security professionals.
We are responsible for:
● Digital, Data and Technology Strategy and Standards, like the Technology Code of Practice, the Service Standard and Open Standards
● Cross-government DDaT performance and assurance, including Spend Controls
● DDaT Capability Development, including the DDaT pay framework
In the Technology directorate we are responsible for:
● Technology Modernisation
● Enterprise Architecture
● Securing Government Services
Our priorities are:
● Reduce security risk
● Increase speed to market
● Mitigate legacy complexity
● Increase the quality of the IT delivery & service we create
● Improve efficiency of IT delivery
● Working towards a seamlessly interoperable digital Civil Service
● Collaborate across departments to share best practice, learn lessons and reusable content
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Central Digital and Data Office (CDDO) the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is responsible for providing overall function leadership of the technology, security and standards strategy for HM Government within the Cabinet Office.
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will also play a critical role in driving the join up with Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) professionals in other government departments in helping ministers achieve their ambition of making the UK the world’s leading digital government. You will be a strong and credible function leader for engineering, technology and architecture professionals across government.
● Defining and implementing a government wide technology strategy for the DDaT profession focused on Engineering, Technology & Architecture
● Advising departments on their solution architectures and aligning them to the DDaT Enterprise Architecture, ensure that all emergent and intentional solution design is fit for purpose across the whole lifecycle
● Building and managing Engineering, Technology & Architectural governance as part of a DDaT Technical Design Authority, establishing the architecture and design processes and methods, establishment of the governance regime & assurance of ongoing architecture and design activities across government
● Function leadership of Engineering & Architecture staff, ensuring that all Technology team members have defined career and skills development pathways in place in line with the DDaT pay and capability framework
● Ensuring government information is safe & secure – i.e. departmental applications are built to comply with DDaT and regulatory requirements, authentication systems are secure and the hosting platform is resilient to internal and external attack
● Leading the DDaT approach to management and decommissioning of legacy systems in departments
● Establishing DDaT’s overall engineering approach and improving our efficiency - across development and platform, covering processes, tools, controls and policies and engineering maturity for the DDaT community
● Managing technical risk across government – identification and management of key areas of technical risk, from technical debt through to product supportability, scalability etc.
● Proven leader of an expert function with excellent influencing senior leadership skills, strong decision making, negotiating and conflict resolution skills, effective relationship building skills, particularly with other CTOs, and the ability to coordinate several activities and priorities simultaneously whilst bringing others along with you
● Inspiring and coherent leadership style: ability to engage and win the cooperation and support of multiple internal and external parties, holding them to account through rigorous performance management to achieve common goals
● A proven track record in delivering large, high profile projects and programmes in an agile environment and managing associated budgets
● Able to demonstrate track record in researching new technology and designing innovative solutions
● Proven experience of senior stakeholder management in a political, pressured environment and evidence of building credible and respected relationships at board level
● Strong corporate and functional team leadership experience, managing multiple complex and highly specialist teams including cross functional and partner resources
● Sophisticated approach to commercial and supplier management within the context of technology change, able to establish and maximise effective working relationships with suppliers to stimulate innovation and guarantee successful delivery whilst delivering value for money from investment
● Experience in leading and driving continuous delivery as a software engineering approach
● Excellent written, verbal and representational skills, particularly in disseminating complex and technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
As part of accepting this role you will be agreeing to the expected assignment duration set out above. This will not result in a contractual change to your terms and conditions. Please note this is an expectation only, it is not something which is written into your terms and conditions or indeed which the employing organisation or you are bound by. It will depend on your personal circumstances at a particular time and business needs, for example, would not preclude any absence like family friendly leave. It is nonetheless an important expectation, which is why we ask you to confirm you agree to the assignment duration set out above.
Selection process details
To apply for this post, you will need to complete the online application process, outlined below. This should be completed no later than 23:55pm, Monday 5th of September 2022.
• an up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history with responsibilities and achievements
• a Statement of Suitability (no longer than 2 pages of A4) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience meet the criteria in the person specification.
For more information and to receive the candidate pack, please contact CDDO-CTO@global-resourcing.com
Failure to submit a full application will mean the panel only has limited information to assess your application against the criteria in the Person Specification.
The interview panel will then assess your application, selecting those with the best fit against the essential criteria. Failure to address any or all of these points may affect your application. The timeline below indicates the date by which decisions are expected to be made; subject to change.
Expected shortlist – 9th September 2022
Final interview date/s – Week commencing 10th October 2022
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Global Resourcing via CDDO-CTO@global-resourcing.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Panel interview & short presentation
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend a panel interview to have a more in-depth discussion of your previous experience and professional competence. Candidates invited to the panel interview will be asked to give a short presentation. Full details of the assessment process will be made available to all shortlisted candidates at a later date.
Reserve List: A reserve list will be held for a period of 12 months, from which further appointments can be made. Candidates placed on a reserve list will be considered for similar posts and appointed based on merit.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Daniel White, Roshit Raj or Rachel Ellis
- Email : CDDO-CTO@global-resourcing.com
Recruitment team :
- Email : CDDO-CTO@global-resourcing.com