Lead DevOps Engineer
Department for Work and Pensions
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 12th February 2023
Type of role
Number of jobs available
Are you an experienced DevOps Engineer with a passion for automation excellence?
Would you love the opportunity to promote technical evolution within the organisation across multiple teams?
If so, come join us as a Lead DevOps Engineer.
We’re looking for outstanding Lead DevOps Engineers, who want to contribute to demanding and exciting digital services for the UK Government. The products we build are the changing the face of public services with the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
We’re looking for a driven and passionate Lead DevOps Engineers who would like to be part of teams delivering real value to people that need help during the difficult times of their lives.
The candidate will act as a DevOps leader, with line management responsibility of Senior DevOps Engineers.
You will lead existing DevOps Engineers while increasing capability, standards and practices across the organisation.
As a Lead DevOps Engineer you will contribute to our community ensuring that DWP and our DevOps practices evolve inline with technology advances.
• Work across multiple teams as a engineering specialist defining and refining organisation engineering standards.
• Push a mindset change within the organisation to foster engineering ownership of infrastructure development alongside software engineering activities.
• Create capability, through definition of training opportunities, pastoral care, and practice alignment.
• Be responsible for ensuring our digital services are adhering to standards and best practice.
• Be responsible for recruitment within the DevOps community.
Responsible for mentoring and support of engineers and trainee DevOps engineers.
Check out these blogs about careers in DWP Digital.
The essential criteria are outlined in the selection
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An employer pension contribution of up to 27% For further information please click here.
• Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern).
• Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
• Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
• An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Salary for this role is from £66,860 (Band min) to £74,392 (Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £74,392 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £15,000 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Selection process details
Stage 1: Application
Applications must include:
1. A completed Personal Details application form.
2. A curriculum vitae including education, professional qualifications and full employment history, giving details of key achievements.
When giving details in your redacted CV you should highlight your experience in line with essential criteria below:
• Significant experience of the full life cycle of a cloud-based platforms and applications from designing, through deployment to supporting and patching (in particular AWS and Azure)
• Significant experience of Unix-like Operating Systems.
• Significant experience of version control systems as well as building and maintaining CI/CD pipelines e.g. git with GitLab CI or Jenkins.
• Significant experience of Infrastructure-as-code and configuration of code for one or more cloud providers.
• Experience of containerisation and container orchestration.
• Experience of multiple scripting and/or programming languages (e.g. Bash, Python)
• Experience of leading, supporting, guiding and providing oversight to Engineers across multi-disciplinary teams in an agile environment.
• Experience of sharing of knowledge and good practice with the wider Engineering community.
When giving details of your redacted CV, you should therefore include details of the work and projects that you have been involved in, and your role therein.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
• Please attach your redacted CV as a separate additional document in either PDF or word format.
• If your CV contains any personal details your application may be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Interview
If you’re successful at sift stage you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the experiences listed in the essential criteria.
You will be asked to do a short (5 -10 minutes) presentation on a specific topic. Further details will be provided to candidates invited to interview.
Interviews will take place Late February/Early March. Sift results will be released at least 5 working days prior to the interview.
The evidence you provide in your application must relate to your own experiences. If evidence of plagiarism is found your application will be withdrawn.
Please note- near miss offers at G7 grade may be offered to candidates who do not meet the G6 Grade standard at interview for this advert.
1 role will require you to have an additional security level- Security Clearance (SC). 2 roles will require you to have Baseline Personal Security Standard (BPSS).
As part of our process you may be asked to indicate whether you wish to be considered for a Security Clearance (SC) role.
For more information regarding clearance please see National security vetting: clearance levels.
Please note- Failure to pass either check (whichever is applicable) may affect you taking up employment within DWP.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
Reserve list candidates will be posted in merit order by location.
Any move to DWP from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf.
However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.email@example.com stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5 year period following a dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against government.
Before applying for this vacancy, current employees of DWP should check whether a successful application would result in changes to their terms & conditions of employment, e.g. mobility, pay, allowances. Civil Servants that would transfer into DWP from other government organisations, following successful application, will assume DWP's terms & conditions of employment current on the day they are posted, unless DWP has stated otherwise in writing.
At DWP we value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce.
We consider visible and non-visible disabilities, neurodiversity or learning differences, chronic medical conditions, or mental ill health. Examples include dyslexia, epilepsy, autism, chronic fatigue, or schizophrenia.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:Contact Government Recruitment Service via Digitalrecruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the “Reasonable Adjustments” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Richie Hanley
- Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission. Click here to visit the Civil Service Commission.