Defra is recruiting 2 Design Managers.
Defra’s design team is part of a wider user-centred design group as well as the wider community of over 800 designers working in the UK government.
The Design Manager will sit in our Design Operations team providing line management, leadership, and direction to teams of up to 15 Interaction and Service designers.
• Providing line management, leadership, and direction teams of up to 15 Service and Interaction designers
• Promoting and assuring good design practice.
• Developing and mentoring designers of all levels
• Working with colleagues to create a culture of user centred and evidence-based service design and delivery with teams actively involved in user research
• Contributing to the organisation and cross-government design communities - including presenting at meetups, writing blog posts, and leading on aspects of practice.
• Line managing a team of designers across multiple projects (both civil servants and contractors)
Skills and Experience
• Experience of designing for large complex organisations.
• A deep understanding of interaction and service design
• Experience of designing accessible, inclusive user interfaces and the challenges of designing for a diverse audience
• An ability to talk about, and advocate for, user-centred design in a way that other people understand
• Experience of helping teams to adopt a range of user centred service design and delivery practices and embed them into their agile workflow.
• Experience of leading design and continually assuring, improving, and innovating design practices.
• Experience of people and performance management and staff development.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete:
• a CV
• 500-word statement of suitability.
The statement will asking the following:
Please provide evidence on how you meet the skills and experience criteria listed on the job advert.
Sift will begin shortly after the advert closes.
Should there be a large number of applications, an initial sift will be conducted using your suitability statement.
Candidates who pass the initial sift may be progressed to a full sift, or progressed straight to assessment/interview.
If successful at sift stage, you will be invited to interview where you will be assessed on experience and the behaviours and technical skills listed below
Interviews will be held from the week commencing 18th October.
For further information on Success Profiles, visit GOV.UK
Visa Sponsorship Statement
Please take note that Defra does not hold a UK Visa & Immigration (UKVI) Skilled Worker License sponsor and are unable to sponsor any individuals for Skilled Worker Sponsorship.