Department for Work and Pensions
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 26th February 2023
Type of role
Number of jobs available
Would you love the opportunity to be part of designing, developing and testing digital services that millions of people across the UK rely on?
Are you passionate about the latest test technologies and frameworks?
If so, click that apply button now and join us as at DWP Digital.
We're looking for Senior Test Engineers and Test Engineers, who want to contribute to demanding and exciting digital services for the UK Government. Be part of changing the face of public services with the potential to dramatically transform the future of millions of people.
As a Test Engineer you will help build and assure applications used by DWP staff and claimants. You will be part of a multi-functional agile delivery team and be an integral part of designing and building automated test solutions that enable the department to deliver quality services consistently that meet the needs of our agents and claimants.
If successful, you will be expected to collaborate with others, actively seek input from colleagues and value a multidisciplinary team over hierarchy.
• You will build automation test solutions that help to assure the quality of products that make up DWPs digital services and contribute towards their design
• You are responsible for testing all areas of the products including but not limited to functional, business requirements, performance, security and accessibility
• You will work alongside other engineers both within the teams around you and the wider community to deliver consistent solutions and strategies
• You will be willing to challenge current processes and help improve the ways of working, as well as identify tooling that will drive innovation and constant improvement of both testing and products
• You will ensure that best practices are in place, and drive improvements by sharing knowledge and resources across teams
• You will have experience in building automated test solutions and be very familiar with industry standard automated testing tools
• You will work alongside other senior test engineers as well as both software and DevOps engineers within the teams around you and the wider community to deliver consistent solutions and strategies
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact Richard.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An employer pension contribution of up to 27% For further information please click here.
• Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern)
• Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours
• Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring
• An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Salary for this role at SEO grade is from £38,469 (Band min) to £41,480 (Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £41,480 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £9,000 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Salary for this role at Grade 7 is from £50,155 (Band min) to £60,781 (Band max).
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Selection process details
Stage 1: Application
Applications must include:
1. A completed Personal Details application form.
2. A curriculum vitae including education, professional qualifications and full employment history, giving details of key achievements.
When giving details in your redacted CV you should highlight your experience in line with essential criteria below:
• Experience conducting functional and non-functional testing in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment.
• Experience in the development of automated test suites for UI and API with associated tools.
• Working withing Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery environment using associated methodologies and tools.
• Experience of working with Agile, iterative methodologies.
• Experience engaging with multiple stakeholders and sharing knowledge across practices.
When giving details of your redacted CV, you should therefore include details of the work and projects that you have been involved in, and your role therein.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
Applications will be sifted at regular intervals from the date the posts are advertised. Please apply as soon as you can, do not wait until the end of the campaign.
• Please attach your redacted CV as a separate additional document in either PDF or word format.
• If your CV contains any personal details your application may be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Interview
If you’re successful at sift stage, you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the experiences listed in the essential criteria.
Interviews will take place at regular intervals throughout the advert.
At stage 1 sift we will assess all applications against the standard required for the more junior of the advertised roles. If you are selected for interview, we will assess you against the required standard for both SEO and Grade 7 roles.
Sift and interview dates to be confirmed.
A number of these roles will require you to have an additional security level- Security Clearance (SC). The remaining posts require you to have Baseline Personal Security Standard (BPSS).
As part of our process, you may be asked to indicate whether you wish to be considered for a Security Clearance (SC) role.
For more information regarding clearance please see National security vetting: clearance levels.
Please note - Failure to pass either check (whichever is applicable) may affect you taking up employment within DWP.
The evidence you provide in your application must relate to your own experiences. If evidence of plagiarism is found your application will be withdrawn.
Find out more about Working for DWP
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
Reserve list candidates will be posted in merit order by location.
Any move to DWP from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf.
However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.email@example.com stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5 year period following a dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against government.
Before applying for this vacancy, current employees of DWP should check whether a successful application would result in changes to their terms & conditions of employment, e.g. mobility, pay, allowances. Civil Servants that would transfer into DWP from other government organisations, following successful application, will assume DWP's terms & conditions of employment current on the day they are posted, unless DWP has stated otherwise in writing.
At DWP we value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce.
We consider visible and non-visible disabilities, neurodiversity or learning differences, chronic medical conditions, or mental ill health. Examples include dyslexia, epilepsy, autism, chronic fatigue, or schizophrenia.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:Contact Government Recruitment Service via firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the “Reasonable Adjustments” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Richard Hanley
- Email : Richard.email@example.com
Recruitment team :
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission. Click here to visit the Civil Service Commission.