Senior IT Support Engineer
The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 11th June 2023
Type of role
Number of jobs available
About the job
This role plays a significant part in supporting the delivery of services to the UKSC’s internal and external customers and focuses on overseeing, providing technical solutions and assurance as well as supporting the continuous improvement of the Court’s in-house IT provision. The postholder’s role included the management, maintenance, enhancement and security of the existing infrastructure and making sure that the system’s future development maintains it as a fit for purpose system, ensures value for money (vfm) and that it continues to meet existing and emerging business needs.
Whilst the UKSC is a small non-ministerial department it is of great national and international importance with the vision to be a world leading court. This role would offer the postholder a unique opportunity to work in a fantastic location, to be stretched through the varied responsibilities of the post and to work as part of a collaborative and valued team. They will be given the autonomy to delivery and the support to thrive.
The postholder will be required to –
Have a range of technical skills and knowledge as well as having a firm strategic overview of the aims of the UKSC and how IT is essential in delivering these.
Act as the bridge between the technical and non-technical staff and Justices, explaining technical elements in clear terms to non-technical people. Being an influencer and persuader. Supporting the management of relationships with contractors and suppliers. Communicating with stakeholders (including Justices, senior staff and court users).
Spot any underlying problems and opportunities and anticipate technical problems before they occur, including the potential impact of policy changes.
Other duties include:
- On occasion, to provide advice to the Head of IT and Digital Services and other senior management (including the Chief Executive) on the provision and development of IT services, ensuring it supports the Courts aims and strategy and meets the requirements for excellence and vfm.
- Supporting the management of the various technology contracts and contractors and suppliers as delegated by the IT Manager.
- Ensuring that the security of the organisation infrastructure conforms to Cybersecurity best practices and maintaining/developing in accordance with advice from NCSC/GCHQ as appropriate.
- The continued development and improvement of the UKSC/JCPC ICT infrastructure, using innovative ideas and technology, offering users improved and business functional services, and reducing overall cost.
- Understanding and applying the principles of networking, protocols and associated technologies, TCP/IP, routing, switching, WAN and LAN.
- Carry out system upgrades to network hardware, software and operating systems.
Essential Technical Knowledge in the following key areas or comparable equivalents -
- IT architecture, infrastructure and cloud services.
- Microsoft 365, Dynamics, SharePoint, MDM, Exchange Online, Azure, SQL, Intune, PowerShell and Microsoft tools.
- Windows 10/11 implementation and management plus Server 2019.
- LAN/WAN connectivity, routers, switches, firewalls, and wireless (Cisco, Juniper CLI).
- AV and Broadcast (RTMP, NDI, Azure Media Services).
- Website technical Management (Azure Web Apps, SSL).
- Virtualization, storage arrays, IT core technologies (AD, DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP).
- Endpoint management, imaging, asset management and encryption technologies.
- License Management
- Remote support
- Telephony systems
- Enterprise Anti-Virus
- Backup and storage technologies
- Disaster Recovery solutions
Excellent customer service understanding and experience in leading front line service delivery (either directly or through a team)
Work with the IT leadership to ensure requests are routed appropriately and resolved quickly and efficiently.
Experience in senior client engagement and vendor management.
Proven track record of managing customer/client issues to resolution.
The ability to make and support effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached, including the resolution of technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk
Excellent communication skills with exceptional written and verbal skills - able to communicate clearly and effectively with others and influence positive changes
Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships internally and externally
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Corporate membership to Benenden Healthcare
- EdenRed employee benefits scheme
- Onsite Cafe
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Applications are via CV and separate Supporting Statement to be no longer than 1000 words to be sent to email@example.com
Please ensure your supporting statement covers why you wish to apply for this post and the relevance of your experience/education addressing the Success Profile behaviours. Please note that if either the CV or Statement are not provided as part of your application, the panel will only consider the information submitted.
If you need to speak to a member of the recruitment team regarding the process, please call 0207 960 1980.
The closing date for applications is midnight on 11th June 2023
Interviews are likely to take place in the week commencing 19th June 2023
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : IT Team
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone : 020 7960 1980.
- Email : email@example.com