About the job
PURPOSE OF JOB
To provide key health and safety support and risk assurance functions to a large estates regeneration project and to be the principle lead for workplace risk management in a laboratory environment based across two sites in to ensure that Cefas maintains a high level of health and safety performance and full compliance with relevant legislation.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work within a professional team to act as a competent advisor for health and safety queries on procedure, standards and legislation
• Work with management, staff, the Principle Contractor and sub-contractors to deliver a site regeneration project in a safe and healthy manner
• Provide highly visible and proactive reinforcement to staff of good H&S practice and behaviours
• Undertake inspection and audit activities to OHSAS 18001 standard to identify safe practice and areas for improvement
• Involvement with management of Occupational Health processes and HSE training
• Opportunity to be involved with land/marine based and overseas fieldwork risk management and support
• Support staff in managing incident/near miss investigation and root cause analysis
• Contribute to the ongoing improvement of health and safety standards at Cefas and promote key tools to help embed safe behaviours
• Assist in the compilation and analysis of performance indicators for onward communication
• Audit training to OHSAS 18001 is desirable
• Competent user of MS Office package; proficient in MSWord and MSExcel
• Effective communication essential
• Good time and task management ability
Please give details of how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria written in the job description.
Minimum NEBOSH National General Certificate in OSH, or equivalent
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Seeing the big picture
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
- Science and Engineering - Understanding and Complying with Statutory Requirements and Standards
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will be held at Cefas Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT at a date to be confirmed.
Cefas is unable to contribute to interview expenses.