Lowestoft, Eastern, NR33 0HT
About the job
PURPOSE OF JOB:
To work as part of the BIOP (Biological Parameters) and CSSF (Conflict, Stability and Security Fund) delivery teams providing scientific leadership in the areas of otolith microchemistry, and otolith processing and age determination of new species with a focus on overseas species of interest. To deputise for the Cefas International Aging Co-ordinator with regards to scientific leadership within the team and attendance at working groups, conferences as necessary.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties of the post holder will include:
• Lead co-ordinator in aging of new species, training and developing a new team of age readers in several new species including Tuna, Grouper, Flying fish and Toothfish
• Lead in otolith microchemistry, including carrying out micro milling and analyses
• Age determination as part of the DCF age determination programme under the Defra SLA to quality standards expected by ISO 17025
• Represent Cefas internationally in the age determination field.
• Support in the UK Overseas Territories as part of the Blue Belt Programme
With potential for also:
• Participating in field work on RV Endeavour
• Supporting the fish/shellfish tagging programme, including report writing and data analysis
• Otolith processing and support to the otolith lab manager.
You must describe how you meet the skills criteria as outlined in the job description.
Minimum qualifications for direct entry to Cefas PB5 are a degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent, and/or relevant experience.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Achieving commercial outcomes
- Delivering value for money
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
- Science and Engineering - Overseeing the Technical Work of Others
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please note depending on volume of applications an Initial Sift may be conducted on the Lead Competency, candidates must pass this competency for their application to be progressed.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
careers@Cefas.co.uk or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews to be held at Cefas Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair or if you have a hearing impairment, a Language Service Professional