Lowestoft, Eastern, NR33 0HT
About the job
To lead on implementation and evolution of the Cefas Data Management Policy and manage the Cefas Data Management Function.
The post holder will be expected to:
1. Steer the strategic development of Cefas data management systems including:
• owning and evolving Cefas Data Management Policy and processes, ensuring continuous improvement
• leading on Data Management themed work collaborating with internal groups and staff including the Head of ICT Services, Project Management Steering Group, Science Development team and members of the Science Directorate;
• representing Cefas in any external data management initiatives relevant to Cefas science, operations and strategy,
• ensuring efficient reporting mechanism of Data Management progress and challenges to Cefas senior management.
2. Champion and embed Data Management best practice within Cefas highlighting areas such as importance of metadata and data standards, open data principles, operational data management, data archiving and reuse, etc. Leading, developing and managing the provision of support and guidance for all staff in topics of data management and curation.
3. Lead and develop the Cefas Data Management Function and Team.
• Ensure Cefas Data Management policy, processes and tools are up to date and fit for purpose. Working with appropriate stakeholders to define, develop and implement required changes.
• Achieve and maintain understanding of internal and external, current and emerging data management trends, standards and requirements and how they affect Cefas
• Lead the development and operational implementation of the Cefas Data Management Systems
• Act as a Cefas representative for any data management relevant Government/Defra Initiatives, such as cataloguing and publishing of open data, , support for GDPR implementation, etc.
• Provide data management expertise for high risk projects and programmes, to ensure compliance with Cefas, UK and international data management regulations, bringing together relevant knowledge where necessary.
• Manage and operate the Data Management function to Cefas policies and procedures.
• Demonstrable experience in managing varied, spatial/non-spatial, government/commercial and sensitive data, knowledge of metadata standards, experience with QA and QC of data
• Managing change (e.g. creating and implementing new procedures)
• Effective Communication
• Presentation skills
• Understanding of IT systems
• Project Management experience
• A deep understanding of data management principles and best practice.
• Data Management and Curation Skills
• Project Management Experience.
• Experience in leading and developing strategy.
• Understanding of UK and European Data Management landscape is desirable
• Experience in team leadership is preferred.
You should describe how you fulfil the skills and experience requirements outlined in the job description.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Changing and improving
- Seeing the big picture
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
- Science and Engineering - Understanding and Complying with Statutory Requirements and Standards
- Science and Engineering - Overseeing the Technical Work of Others
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please note depending on volume of applications an Initial Sift may be conducted on the Lead Competency, candidates must pass this competency for their application to be progressed
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will be held at Cefas Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT
Interview date to be confirmed.
Cefas is unable to contribute to interview expenses.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via DefraRecruitment.email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair or if you have a hearing impairment, a Language Service Professional