Lowestoft, Eastern, NR33 0HT
About the job
PURPOSE OF JOB
This is a new role located in Cefas’ Strategy Directorate, reporting to the Director. The post-holder will work alongside Cefas’ Executive Committee (CEC) to support the delivery of corporate objectives, goals and work programme, including delivery of transformational projects. In addition, the post-holder will work closely with Cefas Management Board and CEC members to contribute to shaping Cefas’ future by supporting the successful delivery of Cefas’ strategic and transformational objectives.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Contribute to shaping the future of Cefas by implementing processes to achieve and track strategic objectives set out in Cefas’ strategic frameworks (currently Cefas 2020 and from 2018 Cefas NEXT).
2. Lead agreed Continuous Improvement projects as defined by CEC (e.g. travel policy, project management)
3. Provide high quality written and verbal briefings, presentations and summary reports in response to anticipated requirements and requests from the Cefas Executive Committee (CEC).
4. Support CEC/CMB meetings, putting in place a robust process for forward planning, ensuring/supporting production of quality papers and presentations, as required. Ensuring that the meetings and papers fit as needed with Board meetings.
5. Develop material to support CEC decision making e.g. background papers, analysis
6. Work alongside CMB and CEC to ensure that the Business Plan is consistent with Defra and relevant stakeholder requirements.
• Degree or equivalent
• Good understanding of organisational dynamics and business process and policies
• Confident working and advising at senior management level
• Understanding of working in a government or similar organisation, and the associated sensitivities and need for political judgement
• Experience of working in a strategic role
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
Please give details of how you meet the criteria written in the Job Description
A degree or equivalent qualification is required for this post
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Collaborating and partnering
- Making effective decisions
- Changing and improving
- Seeing the big picture
- Delivering at pace
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please note depending on volume of applications an Initial Sift may be conducted on the Lead Competency, candidates must pass this competency for their application to be progressed
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Sift and Interviews will be held at Cefas, Pakefield Rd Lowestoft NR33 0HT
Cefas is unable to contribute to interview expenses
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via DefraRecruitment.email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair or if you have a hearing impairment, a Language Service Professional