About the job
PURPOSE OF JOB
To support delivery of marine ecotoxicological studies. To help ensure compliance with the principles of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) when running standard bioassays for regulatory purposes. To contribute to the development and implementation of bespoke testing techniques.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary duties will be to support principle investigators and study directors in running standard bioassays to guidelines and in accordance with accreditations such as Good Laboratory Practice (GLP). Individuals will be expected to contribute technical support to both laboratory and field-based projects while adhering to correct procedures to maintain a safe and compliant workplace This will be achieved through the following responsibilities:
• performing laboratory procedures to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations
• undertaking routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses
• ensuring laboratory equipment is calibrated and maintained with appropriate records kept e.g. balances, multi-parameter meters, pipettes
• keeping track of lab consumables and reagents and replenishing in a timely manner
• demonstrating excellent animal husbandry when maintaining cultures of laboratory test organisms
• recording, data checking and sometimes interpreting results to contribute to publications and reports where required
• keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability
• ensuring cleanliness and tidiness of the laboratories and office space as well as maintenance of field kit
• Adherence to laboratory health and safety requirements.
To excel in this role, the successful candidate will need to show:
• the ability to follow technical instructions and learn specific, practical techniques and apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
• good hand-eye coordination and the ability to use technical equipment with accuracy as well as attention to detail
• excellent organisational and time management skills to work on several different projects at the same time
• team working skills and flexibility to work with and provide support for a team
• excellent oral communication skills to work effectively with colleagues from all parts of the organisation and when dealing with other companies for technical support or when arranging external calibrations
• Computer literacy in Word, Excel and Outlook
• The ability to troubleshoot laboratory equipment and provide technical help to users of the kit.
Applicants for this post should have a good general education to A level standard or HND in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or related field and must have experience working in a scientific laboratory.
The successful candidates will complete an in-house training programme (with some external training) and will be required to work within formal accreditation standards.
Please give your previous skills and experience relevant to the job description.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Science and Engineering - Securing, Maintaining and Developing Relevant Technical Expertise
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
- Science and Engineering - Understanding and Complying with Statutory Requirements and Standards
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
Please note depending on the volume of applications an initial sift may be conducted on the lead competency Science and Engineering: Securing, Maintaining and Developing Relevant Technical Expertise, candidates must pass this competency for their application to be progressed.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Sift and interview dates and location to be confirmed.
Interviews will be held at Cefas Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.