About the job
Cefas’s Industry Project Portfolio delivers a wide range of interesting projects for a variety of commercial customers. Delivering a range of low to medium delivery risk projects in Cefas’ Industry Project Portfolio, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that projects are delivered safely, on time and within budget to the satisfaction of the customer and in line with defined Cefas processes.
Key responsibilities are to ensure all the resources required for project delivery are scheduled, (including scientific/technical staff time allocation); contractual management of subcontractors; budget management; and delivering the targeted project gross margin. The Project Manager together with the Principal Investigator (PI) are responsible for achieving high levels of customer satisfaction.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead/ have input to / or co-ordinate the bidding / tendering process, liaising with the PI (Principal Investigator) and the Portfolio Lead to ensure the project plan is realistic and achievable.
• Ensure that the project plan, objectives and deliverables are communicated to the project team.
• Ensure that contracts and subcontracts are in place and signed before the work that they govern commences.
• Work with the PI to review project progress, risks and issues at regular reviews, agree and record any deviations from the project plan.
• Work with the PI to ensure delivery of the project to the agreed contract scope.
• Ensure any contract variations during the project are formally agreed in line with Cefas procedures and are incorporated within project documentation.
• Work with the PI and relevant parties to ensure all resources required for project delivery are scheduled and relevant staff selected are available, have adequate training and appropriate training records are in place.
• Lead/ have input to/or co-ordinate the health and safety project plans, liaising with the PI and the Portfolio Lead to ensure work is planned and conducted safely.
• Add value to the project delivery by encouraging innovation to deliver enhanced efficiency (and resultant margins).
• Hold regular progress meetings to monitor safety, delivery and budget against plan, involving interested parties and the customer as appropriate.
• Ensure the customer is satisfied with the project deliverables and any issues are resolved during the project life and that sign-off is achieved within the project life and budget.
• Work with the PI to manage customer expectations and identify and resolve problems, issues or customer complaints quickly.
• Ensure that Project “Close” processes are fully delivered including raising of all invoices and confirmation that payments are received.
• Demonstrable effective project management experience
• Demonstrable experience of successful bid management
Demonstrate how your skills and experience meet the requirements of job description.
Degree (or equivalent) in a science or business-related discipline.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Making effective decisions
- Managing a quality service
- Delivering value for money
- Delivering at pace
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
Please note depending on the volume of applications an initial sift may be conducted on the lead competency Leading and Communicating, candidates must pass this competency for their application to be progressed.
Candidates may be assessed on previous experience as well as the listed competences.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are not eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will be held at Cefas Laboratory, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0HT.
Interview date to be confirmed.
Cefas is unable to contribute to interview expenses.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment
Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact
Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can
contact the Civil Service Commission at