Lowestoft, Eastern, NR33 0HT
About the job
This IT Systems Manager post will work within the IT Services Group which is responsible for the planning, development, management and security of CEFAS’ on premise and cloud based IT infrastructure and services. You will be the primary person to investigate and progress Linux based IT solutions as well as support any implemented infrastructure to improve IT service capability and capacity to meet business/science needs. You will also help provide the advice and knowledge to specify and invoke Linux platforms and technologies used for scientific delivery.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A key role to develop, manage and support Cefas on premise and cloud based IT infrastructures, platforms and the existing security infrastructure and service primarily based on the Linux including some of the following duties:
• Analysis of requirements, investigation and progression of Linux based IT platforms and infrastructure to improve IT infrastructure, service capability and capacity to meet business needs and government IT strategies.
• Management and technical support of existing and new Linux based IT infrastructure and end user services
• Assistance in the management and technical support of existing IT infrastructure and end user services currently predominantly based on Microsoft products;
• Microsoft Office 365 and Azure services
• System Centre Configuration Manager 2016
• Windows 2012/2016, Citrix, VMWare, SQL Server 2012/2014, IIS7 and HP storage solutions and Cisco networks.
• Day-to-day management of Cefas systems and services ensuring their security, integrity and efficient operation
• 2nd and 3rd Level technical support for the servicing of support calls escalated from the IT Service Desk
• Managing relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers on application related server, desktop and network infrastructure and services, in addition to providing advice for customer projects.
• You will have significant demonstrable experience of Linux administration, management and support and preferably have experience of specifying, progressing and managing cloud-based IT solutions in a scientific context.
• You will have experience of working within a Linux/ Microsoft environment.
• Demonstrable ability to deliver work objectives under pressure and the motivation to provide a high-quality service for customers.
• The ability to work well in a small team in a high-pressure environment
• A willingness to adapt to different situations and projects rapidly, coupled with the analytical skills necessary to identify the work needed to achieve defined goals is also a requirement
• Enthusiasm to learn any new skills needed to undertake tasks
• A good team worker targeted on achieving joint goals.
Please demonstrate how your previous experience and skills will enable you to meet the requirements of the job description.
A Degree/HNC or equivalent in computing or other relevant subject or, equivalent experience
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Collaborating and partnering
- Changing and improving
- Delivering at pace
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
Civil Service Competency Framework
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
Candidates should be aware that they may be assessed on their relevant skills and experience as well as the listed competencies at both sift and interview.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will be held at:
Date to be confirmed
Cefas does not contribute to interview expenses, however we are able to offer an initial interview via Skype if candidates are unable to travel to Lowestoft.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment
Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact
Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can
contact the Civil Service Commission at