About the job
To work within the IT Services Group which is responsible for the planning, development, management and security of CEFAS’ on premise and cloud-based IT infrastructure and services.
To investigate and progress IT solutions and infrastructure to improve IT service capability and capacity to meet business needs.
Develop, manage and support Cefas on premise and cloud-based IT infrastructures, platforms and the existing security infrastructure and service including some of the following duties:-
• Analysis of requirements, investigation and progression of IT solutions and infrastructure to improve IT infrastructure, service capability and capacity to meet business needs and government IT strategies.
• Management and technical support of existing and new IT infrastructure and end-user services currently predominantly based on Microsoft products;
• Microsoft Office 365 and Azure services
• System Centre Configuration Manager 2016
• Windows 2012/2016, Citrix, VMWare, SQL Server 2012/2014, IIS7 and HP storage solutions and Cisco networks.
• Day-to-day management of Cefas systems and services ensuring their security, integrity and efficient operation
• Technical support for the servicing of support calls escalated from the IT Service Desk
• Managing relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers on application related server, desktop and network infrastructure and services, in addition to providing advice for customer projects.
• Demonstrable recent experience and skills in the development, support, configuration and troubleshooting of IT infrastructures and services based on Windows ideally cloud based.
• Demonstrable ability to deliver work objectives under pressure and the motivation to provide a high-quality service for customers.
The following would also be useful:
• Microsoft certification and/or experience in one or more of the following products/technologies: Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server, Citrix Presentation Server, Microsoft Internet Information Server and Storage Area Networks
• Business analysis and case writing experience
• Project management experience
• Some experience of working to ITIL or other Quality Management systems e.g. ISO9001:2008
A Degree/HNC or equivalent in computing or other relevant subject or equivalent experience
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- A Degree/HNC or equivalent
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles
, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
You will be assessed on your previous skills and experience, as well as the listed behaviours.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will be held at Cefas Lab Lowestoft, Dates to be confirmed.
Cefas is unable to contribute to interview expenses, however we can offer an initial interview via Skype for candidates who are unable to travel to Lowestoft.
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment
Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact
Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can
contact the Civil Service Commission at