Weymouth, South West, DT4 8UB
About the job
PURPOSE OF JOB
The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) is a world leader in marine science and technology, providing innovative solutions for the aquatic environment, biodiversity and food security.
As Project Manager at Cefas you will manage the delivery of medium to high risk delivery projects. You will be responsible for ensuring that projects are delivered safely, on time and within budget to the satisfaction of the customer following Cefas processes.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key responsibilities are to ensure all the resources required for project delivery are scheduled, (including scientific/technical staff time allocation); contractual management of subcontractors; budget management and delivering the targeted project gross margin.
The Project Manager works closely with the portfolio manager and science lead to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction on our national and international projects. Our high profile customers include Defra, Food Standards Agency, UK Research Councils, Royal Society, and BASF.
Specific tasks include:
• Lead the tendering process, working with the lead scientist and portfolio manager, to ensure the project plan is realistic and achievable.
• Communicate the project plan, objectives and deliverables to the project team.
• Work with team leaders to ensure all staff with the required skills are available for the project.
• Work with the lead scientist to periodically review project progress, risks and issues, and agree and record any deviations to project scope.
• Lead regular progress meetings to monitor safety, delivery and budget against plan, involving the customer if appropriate.
• Ensure that contracts and subcontracts are setup and managed during the lifetime of the project.
• Manage any contract variations during the project, ensuring they are formally agreed following Cefas procedures, and are stored within project documentation.
• Ensure the customer is satisfied with the project deliverables and that any issues are resolved during the project life.
• Ensure that project close processes are completed, including raising of all invoices and confirmation that payments are received.
• Demonstrable experience in managing medium to high risk projects, with clear responsibility for budget and risk management
• Experience of competitive bid and tender management
• Degree in science or business-related discipline.
• APM/Prince 2 Foundation certificate and evidence of undertaking training in Project Management.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration
requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles
, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
Please note depending on the volume of applications an initial sift may be conducted on the lead behaviour Delivering at Pace, candidates must pass this behaviour for their application to be progressed. Please note each behaviour is limited to 250 words.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Sift and Interview will be held at Cefas Weymouth Laboratory DT4 8UB
Cefas does not contribute to interview expenses, however we are able to offer an initial interview via Skype to any candidates who are unable to travel to Weymouth
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the “Assistance required” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional
Any move to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) will mean you will no longer be able to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here
to visit Civil Service Commission