About the job
Please see candidate pack.
To be successful in this role you will need to be an inspirational leader with management experience delivering customer centric projects and programmes.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of holistic service delivery arrangements and their contribution to organisational success by ensuring that holistic service delivery is monitored effectively
• Proven experience of SAP product knowledge including HR, finance and TRM at application layer and integration with infrastructure level
• Accountability of large SAP estates serving different parts of large organisations
• Tangible experience of developing senior stakeholder relationships both internally and externally with service providers and customers to deliver integrated technology services?
• Proven commercial experience in supplier contract management
• Proven experience of establishing, operating and maintaining SAP services and operational methods, procedures and tools
• Proven ability to influence business stakeholders and technical resources to identify SAP services improvement opportunities and delivering quantifiable benefits for IT operational delivery?
• Demonstrates high standards of professional behaviour in dealings with clients, colleagues and staff.
• Experience of providing service management support within the business services development life-cycle, understanding typical service and operations delivery challenges associated with the implementation of technology solutions, from initial concept through to service transition, operation and support?
• Proven experience of managing, motivating and developing team members both collectively and individually and of achieving positive cultural change.
• Proven leadership experience leading service availability activities including the investigation of all significant breaches of service targets and service non-availability, with the instigation of remedial activities
• Experience of defining and managing arrangements for technology service disaster recovery together with supporting processes and managing the testing of such plans
• Accountable for leading and coordinating SAP Enterprise Services; to enable our internal business-facing teams and major programmes to deliver their business technology services?and empowering the team to deliver
• Ownership of SAP application roadmap (including SaaS strategy, public cloud migration) and operational platform governance to meet the department’s ambitions and digital transformation roadmap
• Accountable for establishing holistic CDIO SAP Services guidelines, standards and internal / external service integration processes, ensuring compliance. Actively facilitating the sharing of best practices and learning in the area of service and operations management across HMRC?
• Accountable for our SAP Service Design Authority with the responsibility for assuring that all SAP solutions and business services can be operated, supported and maintained to meet the required service & business outcomes
• Accountable for ensuring holistic service level agreements (SLAs) and operational level agreements (OLAs) are designed, agreed, managed and reviewed, and the associated service catalogues, are developed and agreed with business and IT stakeholders?
• Accountable for running key business events throughout the year
• Operational accountability (including multi-million pounds ‘run’ budget) of HMRC’s SAP platform, which includes tax management system (ECC/TRM/PSCD), HR and finance ECC systems, BW, CRM, Ariba, Success Factors, & other technical components
• Accountable for SAP Enterprise Services recruitment and FTE growth profile ensuring operational demands have the right sized capacity to meets the needs
• Accountable for ensuring a continuous improvement and assurance process life cycle is established to drive the improvements in service delivery quality and resilience
• Accountable for managing the people and processes required for the monitoring, measurement, maintenance, reporting and continuous improvement of integrated technology services; ensuring high levels of performance and capability in these processes?
• Accountable for security and risk management of the SAP Enterprise team
• Providing technical and business impact consultation on SAP Services infrastructure and capability, acting as the escalation lead on major incidents managing through to resolution
• Ensuring HMRC’s SAP Services infrastructure is fit for purpose to support business operations during peak times and providing a stable platform for HMRC cloud based services and mobile working capability
• Ownership of full SAP estate migration to public Cloud
• Being a part of end-to-end service management and architectural roadmap, within the internal IT department
• Access to learning and development tailored to your role
• A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options
• A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
• A civil service pension
Whatever your role, we take your career and development seriously, and want to enable you to build a really successful career with the Department and wider Civil Service. It is crucial that our employees have the right skills to develop their careers and meet the challenges ahead, and you’ll benefit from regular performance and development reviews to ensure this development is ongoing. As a Civil Service employee, you’ll be entitled to a large range of benefits.
• 25 days annual leave on entry, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years’ service. This is in addition to 8 public holidays
This will be complimented by one further day paid privilege entitlement to mark the Queen’s Birthday;
• a competitive contributory pension scheme that you can enter as soon as you join where we will make a significant contribution to the cost of your pension; where your contributions come out of your salary before any tax is taken; and where your pension will continue to provide valuable benefits for you and your family if you are too ill to continue to work or die before you retire
• flexible working patterns including part- time or time-term working and access to Flexible Working Schemes allowing you to vary your working day as long as you work your total hours
• generous paid maternity and paternity leave which is notably more than the statutory minimum offered by many other employers
• childcare benefits (policy for new employees as of 5 April 2018): The government has introduced the Tax-Free Childcare (TFC) scheme. Working parents can open an online childcare account and for every £8 they pay in, the government adds £2, up to a maximum of £2000 a year for each child or £4000 for a disabled child. Parents then use the funds to pay for registered childcare. Existing employees may be able to continue to claim childcare vouchers, so please check how the policy would work for you here
• interest-free loans allowing you to spread the cost of an annual travel season ticket or a new bicycle
• the opportunity to use onsite facilities including fitness centres and staff canteens (where applicable)
• occupational sick pay
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is counter-terrorist check
Selection process details
To apply for this post, you will need to complete the online application process which includes completing the application form as outline below.
This should be completed no later than 23:59 on Sunday, 25th August 2019
1. A CV setting out your career history, with key responsibilities and achievements. Please ensure you have provided reasons for any gaps within the last two years
2. A Statement of Suitability (no longer than two pages) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the criteria in the person specification
Failure to submit both (CV and Statement of Suitability) will mean the panel only have limited information on which to assess your application against the criteria in the person specification.
Please ensure that both documents contain your full name.
Should you encounter any issues with your online application please get in touch with us on:
If you do not receive acknowledgement of your application within 48 hours via the automated system, please contact us.
• A panel, including the hiring manager, will then assess your application to select those demonstrating the best fit with the role by considering the evidence you have provided against the criteria set out in the ‘Person Specification’ section. Failure to address any or all of these may affect your application
• A decision is expected to be made w/c 26th August 2019 and all shortlisted candidates will be advised of the outcome shortly afterwards
• If you are shortlisted, you may be asked to take part in a series of assessments which could include psychometric tests and a staff engagement exercise. These assessments will not result in a pass or fail decision. Rather, they are designed to support the panel’s decision making and highlight areas for the panel to explore further at interview
• You will then be asked to attend an interview in order to have a more in-depth discussion of your previous experience and professional competence. This will also include an exercise and presentation
• Full details of the assessment process will be made available to shortlisted candidates
The interview will take place during w/c 9th September 2019
• Regardless of the outcome, we will notify all candidates as soon as possible
• We will send you a copy of any report for any assessment that you may have undergone as part of the recruitment process (where applicable)
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code
sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Name : Jashim Ahmed
Email : Jashim.Ahmed@HMRC.gov.uk
Appointment to the Civil Service is governed by the Civil Service Commission’s Recruitment Principles. You have the right to complain if you feel a department has breached the requirement of the Recruitment Principles. In the first instance, you should raise the matter directly with the department concerned. If you are not satisfied with the response, you may bring your complaint to the Commission. For further information on bringing a complaint to the Civil Service Commission please visit their web pages: http://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/civil-service-recruitment/complaints/