IT Service Manager
Department for Work and Pensions
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 2nd October 2022
Type of role
Number of posts
Do you thrive in a challenging environment and actively seek solutions?
Can you motivate a team to deliver quality service and drive improvements?
SOUNDS LIKE YOU? We'd love to hear from you.
DWP Digital is transforming how we deliver our IT services, and the Citizen Information team is core to how we share and re-use citizen information to drive and support that transformation.
Within Citizen Information we look after a critical national asset, and the personal records of 110 million people. Our services supply citizen information across DWP and beyond. We are working across Digital Group to support the delivery of new products and shared components for DWP, aligned to the new Application Reference Architecture in support of DWP Strategic Transformation.
The role involves collaborating with Digital, Business and external stakeholders to ensure service support is delivered to agreed performance targets in a cost effective and timely manner.
IT Service Managers undertake a range of key duties including reporting, incident management, problem management, and management of services to agreed targets, working closely with stakeholders across all levels and driving increased service quality.
IT Service Managers support underpinning technology and business operations within a 24x7 operations environment therefore this may require out of hours support.
The core purpose of the job is to lead core activities across the Citizen Information PDU. These activities underpin the running of stable and resilient critical national infrastructure. You will work within a team that has responsibilities for:
• Ensuring end to end processes are developed/maintained and communicated to ensure service quality and end-user satisfaction are maintained.
• Ensure effective management of issues raised on all channels. Progressing the resulting Incidents/Tickets, queries, using appropriate prioritisation, agreed processes, procedures and policies, and ensuring referral to relevant resolver groups for resolution where required.
• Management of Problems/issues through monitoring of patterns and trends, understanding business impacts.
• Manage the IT Health Checks and Disaster Recovery across all our services, ensuring timely reports are produced, actioned, mitigated and audit trails documented.
• Management of knowledge articles, engaging with appropriate stakeholders.
• Contribute to formal service reviews to measure and report on performance through SLA/KPIs.
• Producing MI performance reports/DWP Place dashboards.
• Support the management and maintenance of the service catalogue data.
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact email@example.com.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
• An employer pension contribution of up to 27% For further information please click here.
• Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern).
• Family-friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
• Learning and development tailored to your role could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
• An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Salary for this role is from £34,173 (Band min) to £34,971 (Band max).
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Selection process details
Stage 1: Application
Your application will consist of three parts:
1. A Personal Details application form.
2. Your employment history detailing your responsibilities, skills, and accomplishments, plus your qualifications and relevant training. Please copy this information into the box field provided.
3. Personal statement up to 750 words.
When giving details in your employment history and personal statement you should highlight your experience in line with the essential criteria below:
• Implementing best practices for achieving continual improvements in service quality, operational efficiency, and business continuity.
• Understanding operational processes of running and maintaining service and application of a service management framework such as ITIL.
• Working with a team of people to achieve shared outcomes.
• Demonstrating personal leadership and resourcefulness.
• Managing a quality service ensuring high standards are maintained at all times and all KPIs are met.
The sift panel will use the information in your employment history and personal statement to assess your experience, skills and knowledge against the essential criteria above.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
Applications will be sifted at regular intervals from the date the posts are advertised. Please apply as soon as you can, do not wait until the end of the campaign.
Sift dates to be confirmed.
• You will be asked to complete your employment history any information that you would customarily share on a CV should therefore be entered onto the application form.
• Personal details that could be used to identify you including your name, contact details and address must be removed for your application to be considered.
• If your employment history/personal statement contains any personal details your application will be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Interview
If you’re successful at sift stage you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the following Behaviours:
• Working Together.
• Managing a Quality Service.
Interviews will take place from early-October 2022.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
Reserve list candidates will be posted in merit order by location.
Any move to DWP from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk">here
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf. However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.firstname.lastname@example.org stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
Applicants who are successful at the interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offenses. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5-year period following dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against the government.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Before applying for this vacancy, current employees of DWP should check whether a successful application would result in changes to their terms & conditions of employment, e.g. mobility, pay, and allowances. Civil Servants that would transfer into DWP from other government organisations, following successful application, will assume DWP's terms & conditions of employment current on the day they are posted unless DWP has stated otherwise in writing.
At DWP we value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce.
We consider visible and non-visible disabilities, neurodiversity or learning differences, chronic medical conditions, or mental ill health. Examples include dyslexia, epilepsy, autism, chronic fatigue, or schizophrenia.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
Contact Government Recruitment Service via Digitalrecruitment.email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the “Reasonable Adjustments” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Garry Harrison
- Email : Garry.firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment team :
- Email : email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission. Click here to visit the Civil Service Commission.