Senior Solution Architect
Department for Work and Pensions
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 11th June 2023
Type of role
Number of jobs available
About the job
Are you an architect looking to apply your skills to develop new digital services, working with the latest cloud technologies to drive true transformation and bring about positive change for the lives of millions of people?
Your work will involve creating digital solutions and collaborating with forward-thinking teams to underpin the architecture of DWP’s Health Digital Services as part of the organisation’s Health Transformation Programme - helping the most vulnerable people to claim health benefits for their disabilities and long-term health conditions.
DWP’s Health & Disabilities Digital Directorate is looking for Senior Solution Architects to:
• Provide architecture advice to product delivery squads using knowledge of public cloud development and architecture, with strong leadership and communication skills
• Work with other architects within the Health practice, across the department and across wider government to ensure solutions are consistent, strategically matched, and interoperable
• Ensure solutions meet the departmental architecture standards, re-using patterns wherever possible and represent solutions to the Digital Design Authority (DDA) at various stages of the product development
• Participate in the Health Architecture & Design Forum, applying architecture input to inform decisions and outcomes that apply across the practice’s development teams.
You will be working to deliver services that will make a real difference to the lives of some of the most vulnerable in our society.
Benefits and opportunities to grow
You’ll have the opportunity to progress in a growing digital organisation, while working on the latest cloud technologies to support a wide range of citizen facing and enterprise application products.
You’ll be part of an inclusive and diverse team, working within a flexible and hybrid working environment, which offers continuous learning and development opportunities.
In this role you’ll need to be able to:
• Work collaboratively with product managers, engineers, business analysts and designers to shape and form the most efficient architecture solutions together
• Deliver incremental value to your users at frequent intervals.
It would be even more beneficial if you have:
• A background in agile software development
• Experience building containerised or serverless applications
• A “can do” attitude, with the ability to approach complex problems with a positive outlook
If you would like to learn more about the role, please contact Isaac.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Turning business problems into technical designs
- Technical Breadth
• Annual leave rising up to 30 days, (based on your working pattern).
• Family friendly flexible working arrangements, such as hybrid working, job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
• Learning and development tailored to your role this could include industry recognised qualifications, coaching and mentoring.
• An inclusive and diverse environment with opportunities to join staff networks including: Women’s Network, National Race Network, National Disability Network (THRIVE) and many more.
This job role may be suitable for hybrid working, which is where an employee works part of the week in their DWP office and part of the week from home. This is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement and your office will be your contractual place of work. The number of days that anyone will be able to work at home will be determined primarily by business need but personal circumstances and other relevant circumstances will also be taken into account. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working, including whether a hybrid working arrangement is suitable for you, will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
Salary for this role is from £50,155 (Band min) to £60,781(Band max).
Where the maximum salary of £60,781 is offered, a Digital Allowance of up to £6,219 per annum is available for exceptional candidates, based on our assessment of your skills and experience.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Stage 1: Application
Applications must include:
1. A completed Personal Details application form.
2. A curriculum vitae including education, professional qualifications and full employment history, giving details of key achievements.
When giving details in your redacted CV you should demonstrate how you match the Person specification listed above.
You should therefore include details of the work and projects that you have been involved in, and your role therein.
For Hints and Tips on completing your application visit our blog Getting Hired at DWP Digital .
Applications will be sifted at regular intervals from the date the posts are advertised. Please apply as soon as you can, do not wait until the end of the campaign.
• Please attach your redacted CV as a separate additional document in either PDF or word format.
• If your CV contains any personal details your application may be withdrawn.
Stage 2: Interview and Presentation
If you’re successful at sift stage, you will be invited to a video interview via Microsoft Teams. There, you will be assessed against the Behaviours and Technical Skills listed above. You will also be asked to deliver a presentation.
Presentation: you will be asked to do a short (10 minutes) presentation on an architecture design you have personally been involved in, explaining the key architecture decisions you made.
You must submit the presentation to us a minimum of 48 hours before interview.
Further details will be provided to candidates invited to interview.Throughout the whole recruitment process – application, presentation and interview – the accuracy and clarity of your communication will be assessed.
Interviews will take place from Late June 2023 onwards.
The evidence you provide in your application must relate to your own experiences. If evidence of plagiarism is found your application will be withdrawn.
A reserve list may be held for a period of 6 months from which further appointments can be made.
Reserve list candidates will be posted in merit order by location.
Find out more about Working for DWP
Any move to DWP name from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
Applicants who are successful at interview will be, as part of pre-employment screening, subject to a check on the Internal Fraud Database (IFD). This check will provide information about employees who have been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This check also applies to employees who resign or otherwise leave before being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s details held on the IFD will be refused employment.
A candidate is not eligible to apply for a role within the Civil Service if the application is made within a 5 year period following a dismissal for carrying out internal fraud against government.
Before applying for this vacancy, current employees of DWP should check whether a successful application would result in changes to their terms & conditions of employment, e.g. mobility, pay, allowances. Civil Servants that would transfer into DWP from other government organisations, following successful application, will assume DWP's terms & conditions of employment current on the day they are posted, unless DWP has stated otherwise in writing.
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check may be carried out.
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf.
However, we recognise in exceptional circumstances some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-EmploymentChecks.email@example.com stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
At DWP we value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce.
We consider visible and non-visible disabilities, neurodiversity or learning differences, chronic medical conditions, or mental ill health. Examples include dyslexia, epilepsy, autism, chronic fatigue, or schizophrenia.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:Contact Government Recruitment Service via firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs.
Complete the “Reasonable Adjustments” section in the “Additional requirements” page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you’re deaf, a Language Service Professional.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name : Isaac Morrison
- Email : email@example.com
- Email : Digitalrecruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission. Click here to visit the Civil Service Commission.